I see the same people on the "featured list with 2 or 3 sets being featured. I have had 2 featured since I joined, do you have to be in contest or something to have your set featured? I feel like I will never be good enough. It's very discouraging to see people with the same kind of set have 2 or 3 each week or even each day?

• Twisted Gypsies

@sustainablejaney Wow! This thread is mind-blowing. I replied to @sustainablejaney because she wanted to know exactly what gets a Set Featured on UrStyle’s Front/Home Page. @Admin answered the question, which is MUCH appreciated. What isn’t appreciated is how fickle and frankly, unfair, those requirements are.

As @Admin has stated that:

• A featured set must receive at least 5 likes within 24 hours to be considered for featuring.

Points are awarded for:

• Each like received

• Unique comments under the set

• Extra points for including products from URSTYLE, available under the shop tab or directly in Create mode

• Fewer points are awarded for using only self-uploaded products

• New users (those who created an account less than a week ago) will receive a bonus.

• More followers at URSTYLE means more likes and comments under your sets.

From my understanding, based on @Admin’s explanation, the current algorithm is designed to award “POINTS”.
    The Sets that get the most Points trigger the coding (algorithm) and therefore, get featured.
    The requirements that a Set must meet to “trigger” the algorithm and be awarded those Points, in my opinion, make no REALISTIC consideration of User Activity.

The algorithm is awarding Points based on ‘Artist Popularity’ and ‘Member Participation of a Certain Kind’.

1. A featured set must receive at least 5 likes within 24 hours to be considered for featuring.
      That’s kind of unfair, considering that most of our Followers are not online at the very same time as we are. This is a global platform and time-zones vary. So do people's schedules. Requiring 5 Likes within 24-hours of Set publication isn’t much, but when coupled with the additional requirements (below), those 5 timely Likes can easily get canceled out.

Not everyone who uses UrStyle is checking their Feed, or checking the Set Pages of their favorite UrStyle artists, every 24 hours. Heck, many are not even ONLINE every 24-hours. I’m not, and when I am, I have a load of Notifications to go through and Contests to congratulate and thank for before I can even enjoy my Feed and the Featured Pages.

Additionally, my time is limited here, yet that should NOT make the Set LIKES I give less meaningful that those Likes given to the same Set with 24-hours of its publication. I, and others, may Like it days later. That doesn’t help the Set Creator at all in getting featured.

1. Each like received (A multitude of Likes…)
      @Admin did not give an exact number of Likes here, but I think we can expect that Sets with the MOST likes earns Points. As no time-breakdown was indicated here either, I question: Does this mean that Sets with the most Likes within 24-hours of publication influence the algorithm? Or is there a different time-period to gain those precious +5 Likes?
      If I publish a Set right now, am I being ‘judged’ against Sets that were published before mine was?
      And 24-hours after my Set is published, IF my Set even makes the Front Page, I may find it way down the page as more Sets published by other members may have been awarded more Points. But again, that’s even if my Set is Featured... and I must have many, many LIKES for this to happen --- among other things.

2. Unique comments under the set
      All of you who are leaving simple, perhaps 'copied & pasted' remarks, on Winning Sets to congratulate the artist, guess what? Those comments are not unique! And even if they were, the Set you are congratulating is almost certainly more than 24-hours old, so your comments may not count towards generating points for the Set. To generate points for a Set, it seems you must watch your Feed Page (Don’t forget to refresh it!) and like the Sets you love. Then you need to write very unique comments on each Liked Set. A heart/emoji, words like “Gorgeous!” or “Love this!” or “Beautiful!” are too-often used. (That likely counts for "Thank you!" when you respond to a comments on your own Set.) Not “unique” at all. Get out your thesauruses, People!

3. Extra points for including products from URSTYLE, available under the shop tab or directly in Create mode
      What if your design doesn’t have a use or need for products offered under the Shop Tab?
      I guess I’m going to have to pop a few in to my Sets and hide them behind the scene to trigger the algorithm! 🤭

4. fewer points are awarded for using only self-uploaded products
      So , we are essentially punished for creating and often offering unique graphics to the collection of available graphic items available for use on UrStyle?

5. New users (those who created an account less than a week ago) will receive a bonus.
      Any account LESS than a week-old gets a boost. Most of us can never get that “boost”. And who cares? It only lasts for a VERY short time and then it's over. Kind of a waste of ya ask me.

6. More followers at URSTYLE means more likes and comments under your sets.
      More followers does not mean more Likes within 24-hours of a Set’s publication, nor does it promise more UNIQUE comments on your Sets. It does promise that IF you place products offered under the Shop Tab in your Sets, more people will see (and hopefully buy) those products.

I believe this supports my opinion that ‘Artist Popularity' and ‘Member Participation of a Certain Kind’ (Timing of Likes, Unique Comments, etc.) are going to get ya Featured. @sustainablejaney, I hope this explains exactly why you: “see the same people on the "featured list with 2 or 3 sets being featured”.

I agree with @curekitty when she states that “the Algorithm kind of sucks” and that it may be “too arbitrary in how the sets are chosen.” I also agree that it’s best, as she said, to “not get too caught up in being in the Featured Page as it is determined by an Algorithm that I don't think works all that great and is chosen essentially by a computer”. I’m with ya Sister! The algorithm, which @Admin tells us will be revised, does us no favors.

Yet, I’m glad there isn’t a panel of people selecting the Featured Sets, @curekitty. Different styles and art forms appeal to different people. The same panel would be selecting Sets based on their own individual preferences. An algorithm is more impartial than that, but the present one, as you said, sucks. I hope that when @Admin revises it, “Points” can be awarded in a more realistic way.

I also find placing in a Group Contest (and getting Honorable Mentions!) to be far more exciting and rewarding because our Sets are being examined and considered regarding a variety of factors. Yes, judges may find that they are drawn to certain styles, but I feel they all do their very best to be fair and impartial. (In fact, I’m so concerned about this tendency that I have Mystery/Guest Judges in our Twisted Gypsies group!)

Your words, @curekitty; “an actual member of the website liked what I made no matter how many likes I got, comments I had or what items I used! They valued my style, hard work and creativity and that is more satisfying than showing up on the Featured Page!!!” are very well-said and inspiring!

I do understand why @sustainablejaney wants her work to be displayed on the Featured Page more often, however. And if a large amount of Followers is what you need to get there, what better place for your Sets to appear than on the “home” page of UrStyle? Even understanding how meaningless being Featured seems to be with the current algorithm, if the coding is more balanced, being Featured will have more impact.

And speaking of attaining balance, I think Polyvore was both a site to promote goods and an artistic venue. I may be wrong. (I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong. 🤪) I expect that they had to focus on selling because they didn’t have the proper balance between Sales and Rewarding User Experience. I’ve been in sales for over 35 years and the rule of thumb is this: “When you help others get what they want, you’ll get what you want.” When applied to UrStyle, this principle means that when attention is made to creating a quality, satisfying User Experience, the products offered will generate the desired revenue.

URSTYLE, it seems, is trying to create the right balance, but is currently leaning on the side of the “online store”. Revenue, is, without question, essential in keeping a platform like this running. (I know you know this, @sustainablejaney. I’m just kind of reiterating what @Admin said in their reply to you. To me, it came across as a little condescending, but having communicated with Damien over the years, and knowing there’s a bit of a language barrier, I believe I can tell when his tone is light-hearted and in the spirit of community.) I appreciate that he followed up with an extensive explanation of URSTYLE operations for those not familiar with what goes on behind the scenes. Being in your industry, I realize that you are very familiar with such. I can also see why you feel that the Almighty Dollar is now more important to the UrStyle Powers That Be than their members…

@Admin stated that “the most important thing is motivation and consistency in action, and the motivation is given to me by users like you - active users”.

@sustainablejaney, you asked a question and you were answered. Yet, I didn’t like the answer you got. We have less of a chance of earning Points (exposure on the Featured Page) UNLESS we incorporate products offered under the Shop Tab in our Sets. That isn’t always possible.

And what constitutes an ACTIVE User?
    Does one have to be on UrStyle a certain number of hours a day, or in a week?
    And what kind of activity is considered “active?” If we're busy Liking Sets with 24-hours of their publication and leaving “Unique Comments” on those Set while responding to Contest Announcements, comments on our own Sets, and our messages, when do we busy folks have time to create???

People who are busier than others, people who may work full-time or have other matters to attend to, should NOT be punished because they are unable to contribute to the mass activity UrStyle seems to require (at present) in order to be Featured. Either the Featured page remains a farce OR @Admin should come up with fairer, more reasonable, and more realistic requirements when it comes to being granted “Points”. It should be all inclusive. (I’d love User Suggestions on this, and I bet @Admin would too!!!)

As I said before, selecting Sets to be Featured could be very problematic if people made those decisions. What is considered “Good” is relative to the person viewing the work; to their own likes and dislikes, to the styles and even the shapes and colors that appeal to them, as well as the genres. Anyone on Polyvore will likely remember that Contest Winners were determined by Likes and the same people kept winning top placements. That is an example of why I'm against having the same group of people decide what Set's get Featured. I create some pretty off-beat Sets. Sometimes, the only off-beat thing about it is the title, but my style is not for everyone. I doubt I would make the Front Page very often if a panel determined which Sets should be recognized and which should not. From a marketing perspective, my work should never be Featured, LOL! 😜

Now, I must hand out a well-meaning Tsk-Tsk to my pal @Minerva. She can be insensitive at times. @Minerva! To say: “You're not that good I saw your sets. Don't be upset I'm just being honest.” is mean-spirited. 🙁 I know you sometimes act impulsively and say things that shouldn‘t be said. Heck! I publish Sets that shouldn’t be seen! 🚫 😮 LOL! Perhaps, after reading this and understanding that Sets are NOT Featured based on whether anyone considers them “good”, but based on an unfair algorithm, you will consider deleting your comment and offering an apology? When the algorithm is changed, as @Admin said they will be doing (hopefully for the better of both Sales and User Experience), how will you feel if your Sets don’t meet the new requirements of the revised algorithm and, as a result, are not Featured? And how would you feel if someone criticized your art and added insults? We all have the right to understand the workings of this website as it affects us.

Lastly, like you, @sustainablejaney, I also would like to know UrStyle’s Mission Statement.
    I can’t find it anywhere. Shout out to @Admin!

• InDesign

@funkyjunkygypsy after looking at the #featuredsets I keep seeing with outside images, no comments, even double or triple sets of the same kind of cropped pictures from again outside images are only the only ones featured. Even some of the sets don't have comments, they don't have one item from URSTYLE & yet they are the featured artist of the days and days and days. I am not the greatest set maker nor will I ever be, I thank my friend @FunkyJunkyGypsy & stand right beside her & this statement. When someone tells you "You want to know what I really think, Your sets suck!" That is rude & not what a community of artists & creativity being alike would find ok. The Admin gave me a long explanation of his troubles keeping URSTYLE afloat. I'd like to know what his vision of this platform is for, what is the mission statement? What do they hope to provide. Still waiting. Thank you @FunkyJunkyGypsy for explaining this so very well.

• InDesign

• Twisted Gypsies

@sustainablejaney Well, if the algorithm is coded to respond to the factors in a Set that were explained to us (above) and it is not doing so, then what does determine which Sets are Featured on the Home page? At this writing, it has been less than 24-hours, but I am hoping to get this beauty Featured.

Of course, "unique comments" would help. And perhaps, by "unique", it means they don't even have to relate to the Set itself -- or anything on UrStyle for that matter. Ya may as well type: Yabba-dabba-do! 😜

• InDesign

@funkyjunkygypsy You know the system now. Thrive, I saw that bowl yesterday & loved it. It looks like the same game again today. #Groundhogday, #AfterIfall, #Timeloop

• Twisted Gypsies

@sustainablejaney But did you see my Set Featured??? I have used UrStyle items; items featured in their SHOP section. We'll see what happens -- or doesn't! 😉

• URSTYLE Team

Sets are featured every hour. For example, just a moment ago (at 20:00 CET), sets were featured on homepage. For this purpose, the algorithm checked sets added yesterday between 19:00 and 20:00 CET, and based on the parameters defined earlier, it selected the most popular sets.

However, it may happen that a featured set did not have many comments or likes—in fact, it could have had no likes and no comments at all. Why is that? Because exactly 24-25 hours ago, there could have been few sets published, they had few likes or none at all. Your set competes after publication with other sets. If you publish it during peak hours, it is difficult for you to break through to the highlight. If you publish the same set during hours when few people post sets, you have a better chance BUT you may also get fewer likes - because usually, fewer people browse the site then

• Cheap but Trendy

@admin i think it should be quality of the set. Not just what's included.
    I'm sick of seeing sets with few items spread out on featured section. When those who spend ages and have amazing layouts etc get no mention on featured.
    Featured to me should be a section of the best of the best. Set's to inspire you to improve. Not just a showcase of randomness.
    Then its like having two inspire sections. Where every set gets posted ever made. Featured area should be special.

• Creativity In Everything

@dotingsage not all fashion sets need to have too much spread I have an opinion about that fashion sets are about the outfit it should be the focal point in your fashion sets regardless. Your backgrounds,frames, images, etc. Bring a fashion set together with that I agree. But not alI of us create the same. Everyone is different.I don't use any kind of frame on my fashion sets. It's my style not to use a frame. And I make my outfit the focal point in all my sets.

• Cheap but Trendy

@minerva i mean the sets that look like they've taken 5 minutes. Randomly placed on the canvas. Not carefully considered layouts. I'm not saying a set needs 20+ items to be good. But look better than 5 items awkwardly plonked on the canvas. Sure they can help the set maker plan an outfit for real life. To me they're not pleasing on the eye.

• Cheap but Trendy

@minerva your sets aren't what I'm talking about. Yours are ordered and neat.

@dotingsage lol Your'e right some sets are awful and end up featured. Like the items are just thrown together in and ugly way. It probably is about the likes. I'm one that really don't give likes to these types of sets and I also don't like sets that cut off the majority of the outfit.

• Cheap but Trendy

@minerva totally agree. They're not what I'd expect to be featured at all.

• InDesign

@sustainablejaney I agree I see sets with just pictures or a couple of things put together not a lot of work & they are featured 3 or 4 times. It's the opposite of inspiring. I feel bummed.

@dotingsage 🙂thank u

• InDesign

@admin I worked my butt off on the last grouping of sets after you gave me the "algorithm" I had more than 5 likes I had comments & I received NADA. I was perfecting every corner & got votes notes and I have never been feature except 1 set maybe a year ago. It seems pointless, I tried to understand and enter a contest I asked the admin of the contest why my set wasn't even in the included "all sets" for Pumpkin Spice and @Shony didn't even bother to answer how I didn't end up in the whole group of all entries. I asked 3 times. She didn't give me any answer even though my notifications said, Shony mentioned you in WHAT?

• FASHION ICONS

@sustainablejaney I did send you several messages!! Did you get them????????? I will send them here!!!! I try to capture them and send them to you, you never add sets to my contest people can go and see them!!!!!!! this is a link to my old contest that you're talking about!!!! https://urstyle.fashion/contest/8133-monochromatic-pumpkin-spice-color
    If anyone sees your set there please let me know!!!

• FASHION ICONS

@sustainablejaney @DotingSage
    THIS IS A SCREENSOT OF MESSAGES BETWEEN YOU AND ME!!!!!!!!!!! i ANSWERED YOU!!! WHY ARE YOU LYING I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!!

0_1701088547190_FireShot Capture 1375 - URSTYLE - urstyle.fashion.png

• Cheap but Trendy

@sustainablejaney sometimes its about time you posted.
    If you post when majority of other sets get posted, you might get over looked. Since there'd be more sets also meeting same criteria at time.
    So, try posting sets when less people also post. Even leave in drafts till a less busy hour comes up. Like when most are in school or work etc.

• 🌈COLORS and TRENDS🌈

ACTIVE URSTYLERS

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.