Your favourite place on/nearby your town!

• Art Expression

Let's share here our favourite places or hidden gems on our towns / nearby our towns/cities. It might maybe, serve as a travel tip for others one day.
    Sintra - Portugal

Most of the time I have lived in Lisbon, despite having lived frequently in other locations and in other countries, due to work needs. For my taste, for those who like quiet and green areas, Lisbon is not so much appealing (a lot of noise, heat, roads, lots of people, concrete suburbs ...like so many other big cities)
    But 20 km from Lisbon is my favorite place in the area. It's called Sintra.
    alt text
    The Sintra mountain range has a main town, other smaller villages among green woods, and has hills that rise above 500 meters of altitude and to the west has the Atlantic Ocean, with beaches and cliffs making this place a beautiful harmony between sea and forest.
    alt text
    alt text
    The mountain range includes a vast forest area, among which there are palaces, monasteries, chalets, old stone walls and the beautiful castle on the highest peaks.
    alt text
    It is a land full of history from the earliest times (it has pre-historic megalithic sites), a strong medieval component, and so on until the most recent times ... and a unique romantic, nearly fairytale atmosphere, enhaced by the architecture of the town and gardens around it.
    alt text
    alt text

Sintra a place of immemorial myths and legends, it has a great sacred imprint, and it is so linked to the Christian religion as to pagan and occult cultures. A legacy of this is everywhere in ancient monasteries, chapels, and even intriguing places like the Iniciation well in Regaleira palace.
    alt text
    The hills and forest of Sintra are a wonderful place. Green all year, with a microclimate and a unique geographic character in the region, a magical place of beautiful corners and gems.
    alt text
    Here i spent many times, on my youth, days or nights, alone or with someone else, in great hikes or walks, finding always something new, a unique moment, a hidden ruin, or just comtemplating the magical beauty of this place. Memories i heart deeply. Sadly, i can't go there as many times as i used to...
    alt text

I miss you Sintra...
    Sad that only the rich and privileged can live nearby, someone from the poor working class like me and others can only dream of living around... Some land around areas are appropriated by the rich and only they have access ... in my opinion Sintra should belong to everyone, without private owned land ... but sadly money commands everything and some parts of Sintra are taken by rich families .. 😞
    But most of it you can visit. If you are ever in Portugal and staying in Lisbon, do not miss the chance to visit the beautiful Sintra.

• Art Expression

What an amazing group of photos and your explanations were great to read. Thanks so much for sharing. I couldn't possibly share all the wonderful places nearby where I live, as Southern California is ripe with beautiful destinations, but I loved reading about Sintra.

• Art Expression

Superb ! -)

• Art Expression

@darkprince . There is not so much places around Lisbon (up to 20 km or so) which i like, but Sintra is special. It is very meaningful and made my youth as a suburban youngster from low-working class much brighter than it would be without it. Sintra, a refuge and a sanctuary .... i am glad you like it.

• What an amazing place & such beautiful photos. I've been to Porto & Lisboa; they were amazing cities with stunning architecture, superb cuisine and fine wines and ports. I wish I had gone to Sintra but perhaps on a future trip I can visit there.

• CHANGE IT UP 2.o

@darkprince same here so many places here in So Cal but of course I love my IN N OUT most...lol

• CHANGE IT UP 2.o

@wintermoon beautiful photos and commentary...I would love to see the contrast of LISBON to Sintra

• Art Expression

@luckied99 I am not so much into crowded urban environments but a lot of people enjoy Lisbon, there is a lot of cafes, monuments, museums, nightlife for people who enjoy it. In Sintra you would find a more calming, nature environment, vast hills and forest in one side, and also very nice beaches and seaside on the other. Hope you can visit one day, there is a lot of diversity of choices to do there 🙂

• Art Expression

@romaboots Glad you liked it and hope you had a good time. Good food and wines, yes - Porto wine is my favourite. Hope you can make it to Sintra one day - it is truly worth a visit!

• So wonderful and mysterious place!!! Your post moved me for a while to diffrent dimention. Thank you! 😉

• Art Expression

Yes, that place , Sintra, is very special to me. Very magical. It is something one of a kind. Thank you, glad you like it!

ACTIVE URSTYLERS

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.