Finally going for a big tattoo, not sure about the style
-
I've been thinking about getting a tattoo for years but kept putting it off. At first I was leaning towards something small, a little piece on the wrist or the neck, nothing too committed. But the longer I sat on it the more that felt like it wasn't really what I wanted. Now I'm at a point where I want something that actually makes a statement, a proper large scale piece. What style would you go for when you're thinking big?
-
The bigger the piece, the more the style actually matters because you'll be living with it for a long time. Blackwork holds up really well over the years and reads clearly even on large formats. Realism can look incredible but demands a lot from the artist and fades differently depending on skin tone. Neo traditional is somewhere in the middle, bold lines, strong color, ages better than pure realism.
-
Large scale work is where Japanese tattoo design really comes into its own, it was basically built for it. The way it uses the body's shape, wraps around the arm or covers the back, nothing else does that as naturally. You can check out what it looks like here https://rinattattarin.com/blog/tpost/japanese-tattoo-los-angeles-guide-placement-aftercare . Solid breakdown of placement and what to expect from the whole process.
-
Check out the portfolio of the artists at whatever tattoo salon you're considering. Or just tell the artist what you're going for during the consultation. They'll help you put together a design.
-
Honestly I think if you haven't settled on a style yet, you probably shouldn't get tattooed right now. Otherwise you might rush into something you didn't fully think through and end up regretting it. I dreamed about getting a tattoo forever, but I had zero clue what it should even look like, until I found a couple styles on the Logan Square Tattoo https://www.logansquaretattoo.com/chicago-tattoo-shop site that just clicked with me. Then me and the artist worked together to refine the design. So yeah, my advice is don't rush it.