An observation and question about featured sets.

• I just want to preface this by saying I am honestly not all that bothered whether my sets do or do make it on to the feature/home page. Sure it's a nice feeling when it happens but I love creating sets regardless, and make them more for my own creative satisfaction.

But I noticed something recently I have to say something because it's bothering me a bit. Just because I feel like everyone should have an equal opportunity to be featured on the homepage, and I honestly don't feel like everyone is getting it.

I recently changed the way I create my sets. The layout is completely different. I now use a lot more items/fillers than I used to. I went from using to around 10-15 items per set to using easily 40+ items per set. Before, I would say my sets would be featured on the home page quite often. In fact, every other set I created would be featured (something like that). Since I changed my layout, not one of my sets have been featured. So, I know I'm being a bit long winded here, but my question is: do sets not get featured on the home page if they have a lot of items in them? And if so, why?

The thing, like I said before, if it was just about me and my own sets, I wouldn't be all that bothered. But the more I think about it, all the other creators on here who create similar layouts (with lots of intricate details and items) who I admire and who have inspired me so much...I don't think I have ever seen one of their sets featured on the home page.

And then I also remember a post on here a while back and someone else was saying that they never got their sets featured on the home page, so I know this had been a problem for a few users. What is going on with the algorithm?

I ADORE Urstyle and I'm so grateful for this platform. I remember when Polyvore first shut down and I was devastated I didn't have another creative outlet that was similar and then Urstyle came along and made everything better (as I'm sure a lot of you can agree!) I just couldn't not say anything about this. I don't think the algorithm is very fair. Just had to get this off my chest.

• @moonlightdarling Hi, I think your sets are wonderfully intricate and beautiful. I do understand your thinking on this subject. I was one of those who expressed the same thoughts as you. I feel like if everyone has a chance to have a set or two featured on the page, it offers better chances for others to follow them if so desired. However, I don't think that any one user has control over the algorithm. I think it is the Administrator who updates that. You may try to address your concern with the Admin and see if that will change anything for you. Best wishes and Happy Designing!! 😊❤

• @sheila-l Thank you so much for responding and for such a lovely comment! 😊💗 I know it's not up to users - I was more posting this on here to see if anyone could offer insights and I was hoping admin would respond to this but it would seem not.

• CureKtity's TGIF Friends

@moonlightdarling Your sets are FAB!!! I definitely love your new design style! I love to add a lot of items to my sets too. And I agree with your observations! It's not exactly the best way to showcase Urstyler's sets by letting an Algorithms pick what sets show up but it's easier for Admin to use because it's automatic and no interaction is needed by a user on a daily basis. I used to get upset about my sets not showing up in the featured list but I don't get bothered by it now because Algorithms are just a bunch of rules and not a real person picking sets they actually like! Even having a human picking can be an issue too! On Polyvore, I created a lot of sets and only got Top Set 3 times in 5 years.

"Algorithms are rules, signals and data that govern the platform's operation. These algorithms determine how content is filtered, ranked, selected and recommended to users. In some ways, algorithms influence our choices and what we see on social media."

A few months ago, I decided to run a test to see if I could crack the Algorithm Code and get featured more often. I read all of the Algorithm Rules Admin posted and I tried to follow the Rules to see if I got featured more then before. So I created several sets that followed the Algorithm rules very closely and not one of these sets was ever featured. I posted them at all times of the day from early morning, lunch time, late afternoon, after dinner, night time, midnight, after midnight and these sets did not got featured. I had plenty likes, comments, and items from the official Urstyle shop etc... and not one set was featured. I even checked for sets that were posted around the same time as mine and some of them (these were not new users too, they were members who been on here for many years) had a lower like and comment count than mine and their sets were featured while mine were not. I'm not saying those sets did not deserve to be featured they were all Good but these Algorithm Rules are not always fair to all users. A lot of members who make Awesome sets rarely get featured and other members with Awesome sets are always featured! Who knows why some get on the list more than others???? At this point, I am tired of trying to figure it out! I enjoy making sets and will continue to do them and not worry about being featured!!!!

Just as an observation, I do take notice that members who submit a lot of sets each day (over 5 or more) are on the featured page more then members who only post one or two a day. Also, sets with a lot of items don't get featured as often too. We should all focus on having fun and being creative and not worry about the number of likes, comments we get and being on the featured page!

Hugs, Diana XOXOXOXO

• @curekitty First of all, thank you so much for such a wonderful comment!! They are so pretty and intricate!!

Secondly, I completely agree with absolutely everything you've said.

I really wish that admin would just look at how many people are upset/have issues with the current algorhthm and look at ways to improve it. If I'm being honest, I don't know a huge amount about IT or tech things but surely it's not that complicated. Maybe I'm wrong.

I would like to hope that something will be improved the future and until then I guess it is what it is. Lets keep our fingers crossed it will be improved!

Thank you again for such a lovely response! Very much appreciate it! 😊

Best wishes. 🩷🩷

ACTIVE URSTYLERS

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.