On-line Protection for Urstyle Members

• Poetry In Motion (Art Group)

@admin Dear Admin, Today I accidentally opened a set on the homepage before I logged in, so while I was there I thought to myself I would see how far I could go without logging in as a member.
    Well I got to see all the comments, items used in the set, every set they had ever made, then I clicked on the members profile name and was taken to the profile where I could see near on everything. I maybe a bit slow on the uptake regarding this and I don't know how long this has been like this but I seriously urge Urstyle to show some respect to their members.
    I realise we are on the internet and I do not have any concerns about items, I do have concerns about requirements that are in the terms of service which because of this "see everything policy" we have no control over as members. If anybody can access all our sets, how do we know how they are used and for what intention they maybe used for.
    Further there are friendships on Urstyle and sometimes people share with each other very personal thoughts and comments in the comments section, does Urstyle have the right to share these PRIVATE comments with the world (there is nothing in the terms of service) ... Facebook has far more protection for it's members than this site.
    I understand showing the Homepage sets is advertising/income for Urstyle but I do not understand why the world has to see everything else like the comments and profiles etc unless they Log in as a member and I please ask Urstyle to re-consider. Thank you Ollie

• @ollie I have never thought about that!! You're right! And there are members on here that have their names etc on their profiles. It's kinda dangerous for anyone who doesn't have good intentions

• Twisted Gypsies

@ollie said in On-line Protection for Urstyle Members:

Facebook has far more protection for it's members than this site.

Well said. One must be a Facebook member and log-in to Facebook to view even general information; information that the User has made public. Users also have the option to share select posts, images, and information with their approved Friends and/or those in specific groups. Facebook is NOT known for its security overall; that's for damn sure, but even a false sense of security is better than feeling exposed.

When signing up as a UrStyle user, whether we realize it or not, we agree/accept that everything we post here is public. Keeping it public is one way UrStyle earns revenue. And yet, when you consider that Pinterest allows you to create Private Boards and Group Boards that are visible only to invited members, you are led to wonder why UrStyle would not offer this feature as well.
    For now, all you can do is make a Set "private" which means that only those who have the URL (direct address/link) to the Set will be able to see it. This does not prevent the Set (URL) from being shared with others who may also want to see it. Setting a Set to "private" is not setting it to allow specific, approved users "in" to see and comment on it while keeping everyone else out. Making a Set private is simply hiding the Set image and link from public view --- yet still making it publicly accessible.

It is concerning how easily non-users can access information that we may prefer be available only to those we are "friends" with. Still, it would need to be even tighter than those we follow who also follow us. Blocking a specific member is usually done AFTER they have irritated you in some way. Preventive measures to keep certain information/posts private, such as @Ollie's concern about the Profile, might include being able to allow/invite select members to read our blog posts, choosing which posts are open to everyone and which are not. This is one place where comments can be left and conversations held out of the public eye, if set up that way.

It would be interesting to read @admin's response to this concern. Thanks for bringing it up!

• The Dressing-Up Box

Often mine comes up as "not secure" but I press refresh and the padlock symbol then comes up. It does need sorting at source.

@funkyjunkygypsy Thank you dear for you source of info but I am aware of a lot of that but I still feel very strongly that any one that is not a member should not be able to source all of the information they can without logging in to Urstyle and being a member. I also feel very strongly about the terms of service where we cannot as members be held accountable for what happens to our sets due to the "free for all policy" https://urstyle.fashion/terms_of_service and most importantly publishing of members comments - I cannot find anywhere any reference to the publishing of personal comments or set descriptions either in the terms of service or the privacy policy (it is not listed under personal data). I am hoping these points will be amended and for those who were not aware, may become aware. Thanks Ollie

• Twisted Gypsies

@ollie Yeah, I kind of overdid it as far as helping others understand what's considered public information here. I revised my previous post and hope that it better supports your concerns, as I agree that some kind of extra protection should be offered. Thanks! 👍

• Design Styles Defined

@ollie I particularly HATE it when I try to visit a website and it keeps asking me to ‘sign up’ or ‘sign in’ in order to have full access to basic contents. Sometimes I don’t have an account on that website and just want to read or see something (before deciding if I want to create an account), other times I just don’t want to login because I’m on a hurry.
    Once you post something on the internet it’s never private anymore, no matter how many privacy features a website offers.
    Cheers.

@jesuisunlapin Everyone is entitled to their own opinion dear. I am not asking you to agree with me and respect your opinion.

• Design Styles Defined

@ollie that’s why I chimed in, dear. I know you do. Cheers.

• NANOWRIMO 📝

I know I'm late to this thread, but I just want to second some of the sentiments previously expressed - although I recognize & accept that everything on my profile will be public, I still would very much like to have a "private profile" or "followers only" profile option. In the past, people have literally gone through my likes/liked items for the purposes of accusing me of actions that they misinterpreted, which - I'm over it now and we've since worked out our differences, but I would have loved a followers only profile option back then. I remember being a bit unhealthily paranoid about my site activity when all of this was going on, and again although everything's fine now I think some of the paranoia still lingers subconsciously with different users who I've blocked

In general, it's annoying when blocked users can still see everything you post (& that you still want to show up on your followers' feed) by logging out or switching to an incognito tab

• Twisted Gypsies

@ayzrules I second exactly what you've said. And you said it perfectly. Though this may not provide as much security as we'd like, it would still feel better to know that only registered users (who can be tracked, for the most part, by UrStyle) are able to access our information. Never too late to revive a thread and voice your views! Thanks for that! 👍

• @ollie anyone can save a set made on urstyle to their device.
    Then can use it without persons consent. E. G. For a blog or whatever.
    I've done this for the blog section on urstyle but always credited the maker. (used for outfit ideas).
    There needs to be something in place to protect privacy.

But if you can take anything while logged in, only privatisation for members not logged in, will not do much.

@girlies-tip2-0 I totally agree with you but until the Urstyle Community rallies together to get things changed nothing will happen. Unfortunately I cannot see that happening. Please see excerpt from email below from head of Urstyle.
    0_1596806182178_4e833756-c8c8-42f0-92fb-0c71923a23db-image.png

• @ollie there's not much they can even do to make things safer.
    What do you expect the urstyle team to do?

If they fail to keep up to date with social media, how on earth are you expecting them to do something super complicated. It would take some complex coding to make the site safer.

If you don't want your stuff stolen or information leaked, then don't post it.

@girlies-tip2-0 You were the one that stated "There needs to be something in place to protect privacy" in your previous post and then you do a back flip. I just would like to say if facebook can give a profile a certain amount of privacy, so can any other decent programmer, at the end of the day Urstyle would not make any money and that my dear is what it is all about!

• @ollie yes something needs to be done about privacy. But, nobody is stating what exactly.
    Its not an easy thing. There's no magic button to click on to get privacy.
    Facebook can do this because they employ a huge team and some of which are experts in data protection. Urstyle however only is run by a few people so, it's not easy for them to implement.

In the ideal world they would put more privacy settings in place. Its marvelous what they've achieved so far with limited help. I'm not saying I don't want more privacy, I'm saying it's unachievable with the resources they have. Plus probably expensive to implement.

• CHANGE IT UP 2.o

I've noticed in the last month that "not secure" is showing up more often and refreshing the page doesn't always make it go away. I'm having to log out and sign in again or just not use this site at all for a day or two. I asked @admin about this some time ago and was told that the site is secure??? Many users don't pay attention and may not be aware that their info can be seen by anybody and others with motives to do harm. I would advise anyone to check to make sure your info is not showing up on the dark web. Any reputable business should have preventive measures to protect their clients and users privacy.

• URSTYLE Team

@idetached its caused by some images (mostly on the community pages) which are loaded via http instead of https. That’s all, you can’t lose anything or no one can hack anything here. This images will be fixed (forced to load via https) in the next releases

ACTIVE URSTYLERS

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.