Common Courtesy

• Poetry In Motion (Art Group)

Back in the days of Polyvore and even in the early days of Urstyle there used to be common courtesy that if you liked items on a set after viewing that you would at least have the courtesy to like the set .... I wonder what happened to that common courtesy?

• I absolutely agree. I also think people having the notifications of who liked stuff from their sets made people a bit more accountable. Now it seems like many people just want to steal items without the like, which doesn’t make sense to me at all...

• This post is deleted!
  • Fashion Contests

@Ollie @lecoupdefoudre ~ I agree with both of you. What happen to the common courtesy?? Liking an item does not mean you can turn right around and use it in a set similar to yours. Common courtesy dropped by the wayside.

• Twisted Gypsies

Am I missing something? What’s wrong with Liking items used in the Sets of others? UrStyle gives us this ability, so how is it wrong? Not being notified keeps Set creators from getting frustrated with (and distracted by) item hoarders. But other than the hoarders (who probably never do anything with the items they collect anyway) I don’t feel there’s anything wrong with collecting items from a Set, provided of course, that you’re not doing this to reproduce the Set itself.

You are aware that if you Like someone’s Collection, you can go into the Item Organizer and help yourself to every single item in that collection, right?
    UrStyle gives us that and other sharing features because the more we use certain items in our Sets, the better their potential is to gain new advertisers; advertisers who provide those images, as well as keep existing advertisers happy. It’s marketing. That’s what this web$ite is really about. I’m just thrilled they gave us a free way to connect with one another and create art! 😃

@Ollie, is there some way you’re able to tell if others are Liking items from your Sets, yet not liking your Sets? I’m not playing Devil’s Advocate; I’m seriously wondering what it was that brought up your question. How does ‘common courtesy’ relate here when you can’t even tell if someone has gone in and Liked all the items you’ve used? Perhaps there's someone in particular who keeps posting sets made with items you’ve recently used?

@lecoupdefoudre, What do other Users need to be accountable for?
    If you personally create items via graphic art, load them to UrStyle and create Sets with them, then sure, you should be given appreciation for creating those items, but that can only happen IF someone realizes that you're the artist behind them.

Unless it’s original art, personally created and uploaded by a User, every item/graphic on UrStyle has been clipped from other websites or provided by UrStyle, so how does this give anyone "rights"/exclusivity over items they use in Sets?

Thanks!

@funkyjunkygypsy Hi Dear, To answer your question ... yesterday I published a set now on this set there was four views well before any likes occurred and on investigating my items you can tell when items are liked. This confirmed what I have been thinking for sometime. Now, I do not have any problem with people liking items. I am just saying there used to be common courtesy regarding this procedure, which appears to have been diminished over time.

• Twisted Gypsies

@ollie Not sure I understand. Let me see if I do...
    You had items that I assume you uploaded/clipped. There were no Likes on them. They were completely new to UrStyle. You used these items to build a Set. You published the set. There were no Likes on the set initially, but in reviewing the items in your set shortly after you posted it, you saw that some of the items used had been Liked. Am I correct?

If I am, why did you look at the items used in your set to see if they had any Likes after you published the set?
    Do you believe someone Following you is item-hoarding? I ask because once an item is placed in a set, it's pretty much up for grabs, and I wonder if people simply don't see anything wrong with collecting items that way -- and also have no idea you uploaded them. If you offered these items in Collections, you might get 'Thank Yous' in the Comments Section, but don't hold your breath. 😜 My Collections get Liked all the time and rarely does anyone thank me for putting them together and sharing them, which is fine by me.

So IF I am correct in my understanding, you could, if someone is lurking and taking items from your sets, post a set about not thanking people to sort of send them the message, but it's a sticky wicket, as they say, because I don't think most people check to determine where an item originated from, or care. You likely have your uploaded items marked in some way, so as they get passed around, floating from User to User, this will bring people who like what you collect to your Collections and your Sets looking for more great stuff.

I have a feeling that it's not a matter of lacking courtesy, but of racing around clicking and collecting. Our technology is so fast and we're all just zipping about. What is acceptable or even the norm online would be considered rude offline. (And don't even get me started on people texting and using their cell phones during meals and when you're having a conversation with them! 😾 ) I suspect that because UrStyle is designed to function in a certain way, people just use it as it's designed and don't consider much else.

One approach to this would be to put a "notice" in your Set Descriptions, such as:
    "Items in this set titled "xyz" were uploaded and shared by @Ollie. You're welcome!"
    😉 What do ya think?

• @lecoupdefoudre it would be great to know who's liking the items we put on the sets

@funkyjunkygypsy As I said, I do not have a problem with people liking items (once they are uploaded it is a free for all) however I do believe common courtesy never goes astray whether online or offline. Perhaps courtesy is old fashioned in our fast world but fortunately it is something I believe in.

• @astrocosmic I'm pleased that I don't have to see who liked items in my notifications. That was just annoying in Polyvore!

• @funkyjunkygypsy I'm with you in this issue. I sometimes make my own backgrounds that I upload here. I'm flattered when I get a like on them. I'm glad I don't have to see liked items in my notifications though. 😊

• Twisted Gypsies

@ollie I understand completely. And I do think, unfortunately, that because we're online and people do things differently when online, that it's a bit of a culture shock when they don't respond the way we might. Case in point: I HATE texting. Why not call me if you want to say something? You obviously have a phone in your hand.

The other day, I was chatting with my brother --- on the phone --- when I mentioned one of his children's birthdays were coming up and I asked him if there is anything the birthday boy would like. He was very serious when he told me that I could just send him money via PayPal. 😯 Okay, fine. I'll send him some cash and he can spend it however he likes, but I'll send him a card first.

WELL, I was suddenly being schooled on 'how things are done these days' and that all I needed to do was send my nephew a Happy Birthday TEXT. What?!?!? 😦 Not even call him? My brother explained that his children prefer TEXTING and that they rarely answer their phones and that this is NORMAL.
    OMG, @Ollie, there are so many 'new ways' of doing things that I don't agree with and people younger than me are perfectly fine with. Am I that old? I'll be 55. My example is just one of many that make me feel behind the times -- and I'm a computer geek, but I still have social skills. Think about when someone 'famous' dies and their family members thank everyone for all the Tweets. WHAT?!?! Seriously???

Our world has changed and maybe that's why it seems people are not being courteous, although there are Item Hoarders, which is why like @KiaW I like that I am not notified when someone goes bonkers rummaging through my collections. I mean, that'd what they're there for, but I don't need a play-by-play.

So let me state for the record that if I've ever liked items from any sets of yours and failed to like the set, I apologize and sincerely extend a belated THANK YOU for sharing! 😃
    (I have collected a ton of your sets, which you will see when I update my collections and send you a note.
    Or maybe I'll just send out a Tweet... 🙃 )

• The Story Corner

@kiaw Yes, I do agree it was very irritating!! I don't care who uses my items, but I would think it is common courtesy not to use items someone has obviously just edited for a set or contest ! My way round that is that when I add items for specific reason I pop them into a private collection and delete them from my items, thereby reducing the window of opportunity for them to get used before I get round to making my set!! Then afterwards I make the collection public for y'all to use! Enjoy!!!😁

• Design Styles Defined

@funkyjunkygypsy I COMPLETELY agree with you. Plus, I would prefer to know which items get more likes or are used in others’ sets so I could have a better idea of the most popular & upload more of them. It makes me really happy when people use the items I upload to create something original. That’s thanks enough for me. Cheers!

• Twisted Gypsies

@auntiehelen I keep private collections of items for sets I intend/hope to make. I want to use items that I've uploaded before anyone else sees and LIKES them and uses them in a set for the same contest. I totally get that, @auntiehelen!

• Twisted Gypsies

@jesuisunlapin Well, isn't that a sweet breath of fresh air!!! 👏 You are proud of your work and want people to use it and pass it around. Spoken like a true artist! 👩‍🎨
    Though I rarely create or alter graphics, I do find some neat stuff online and when I see items I've uploaded in the collections of others, I'm pleased. Someone found something I've used to be useful to them and are offering it in a collection with the intention of helping others. Very cool! I think I'll go look at your collections and sets and see what treasures there are to be had! 😋

• 🎬 Fandom Extravaganza 🎮

I find the people who usually like all the items in your set but not the set itself end up being copied or mimicked and then they have the audacity to accuse you of copying them or completely ignore you when you call them out or ask what's the deal. ¬¬

I made a set last year about this actually lol https://urstyle.fashion/styles/2095498

ACTIVE URSTYLERS

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.