The Island of Delselva: Quote Inspiration

• NANOWRIMO πŸ“

@ahlexandra AHHHH yes yes yes

• NANOWRIMO πŸ“

@ahlexandra holy fucking shit I found this in my notes and so sorry i keep spamming you but-

β€œBut a fullgrown horse or dog is beyond comparison to a more rational, as well as a more conversable animal, than an infant of a day, or a week, or even a month, old. But suppose they were otherwise, what would it avail? The question is not, Can they reason? nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"

!!!!

• @ayzrules girl you are NEVA spamming me i crave the quotes you find and i don't even know it LOL

our kids can tell when animals are suffering me and....i'm not ready for that pain 😞

• NANOWRIMO πŸ“

@ahlexandra SORRY I'M SO ANNOYING but im back with more quote spam. lol yikes im so extra sorry sorry sorry

0_1552512349923_show alex this quote.PNG

0_1552512366741_show alex pt2.PNG

0_1552512376416_show alex 3.PNG
    β€œThe land cannot be separated from people...the very bones of our ancestors are present in the earth and help make the soil that grows our food. Our indigenous ancestors gave us life, we are part of them, and their bodies have become part of the earth, therefore we are part of the earth.”

• NANOWRIMO πŸ“

@ahlexandra do u think we should we base how Delselvans (maybe more the selva side than delas? idk haha) think about hunting animals on the Cree beliefs?

0_1552935418829_cree hunting.PNG

• @ayzrules wait i wanna give you a thoughtful response to both of these so i WILL get back to you bear with me. YOURE THE BEST thank you for keeping me inspired xx

• NANOWRIMO πŸ“

@ahlexandra ❀ ❀ ❀ no worries take your time! And I'm just a nerd + we're doing a lot of reading related to indigenous environmental views in one of my classes RN so of course I have to share every little thing ahhhh sorry hahaha

These quotes in this post are from a book called "Braiding Sweetgrass" and I've only read a couple chapters but it seems really good!

I uploaded PDF of specific chapter I had to read for class to Google Drive, hopefully this link works! Lmk if it doesn't

-β€œNanabozho did not know his parentage or his origins-only that he was set down into a fully peopled world of plants and animals, winds, and water. He was an immigrant too. Before he arrived, the world was all here, in balance and harmony, each one fulfilling their purpose in the Creation. He understood, as some did not, that this was not the β€˜New World,’ but one that was ancient before he came.”

-β€œTime is not a river running inexorably to the sea, but the sea itself-its tides that appear and disappear, the fog that rises to become rain in a different river. All things that were will come again.”

-β€œHis role was not to control or change the world as a human, but to learn from the world how to be human.”

-β€œHe walked the land, handing out names to all he met, an Anishinaabe Linnaeus. I like to think of the two of them walking together. Linnaeus the Swedish botanist and zoologist, in his loden jacket and woolen trousers, with felt hat cocked back on his forehead and a vasculum under his arm, and Nanabozho naked but for his breechcloth and a single feather, with a buckskin bag under his arm. They stroll along discussing the names for things. They’re both so enthusiastic, pointing out the beautiful leaf shapes, the incomparable flowers. Linnaeus explains his Systema Naturae, a scheme designed to show the ways in which all things are related. Nanabozho nods enthusiastically, β€œYes, that is also our way: we say, β€˜We are all related.’” He explains that there was a time when all beings spoke the same language and could understand one another, so all of Creation knew each other’s names. Linnaeus looks wistful about that. β€œI ended up having to translate everything into Latin,” he says of binomial nomenclature. β€œWe lost any other common language long ago.” Linnaeus lends Nanabozho his magnifying glass so he can see the tiny floral parts. Nanabozho gives Linnaeus a song so he can see their spirits. And neither of them are lonely.”

-β€œNanabozho was counseled by many plants too, who shared gifts, and learned to treat them always with the greatest respect. After all, plants were here first on the earth and have had a long time to figure things out. Together, all the beings, both plants and animals, taught him what he needed to know. The Creator had told him it would be this way.”

-β€œ...the plants are our oldest teachers”.

-β€œHad the new people learned what Original Man was taught at a council of animalsβ€”never damage Creation, and never interfere with the sacred purpose of another beingβ€”the eagle would look down on a different world. The salmon would be crowding up the rivers, and passenger pigeons would darken the sky. Wolves, cranes, Nehalem, cougars, Lenape, old-growth forests would still be here, each fulfilling their sacred purpose. I would be speaking Potawatomi. We would see what Nanabozho saw. It does not bear too much imagining, for in that direction lies heartbreak.”

• NANOWRIMO πŸ“

@ayzrules so I don't forget this quote lmao

❝ πΉπ‘œπ“‡ π“Œπ’Ύπ“π’Ήπ“ƒπ‘’π“ˆπ“ˆ 𝒸𝒢𝓃 𝒷𝑒 π’»π‘œπ“Šπ“ƒπ’Ή π’Άπ“ƒπ“Žπ“Œπ’½π‘’π“‡π‘’: 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 π“ˆπ‘’π‘’π“‚π’Ύπ“ƒπ‘”π“π“Ž 𝓉𝒢𝓂𝑒 π’»π’Ύπ‘’π“π’Ήπ“ˆ 𝒢𝓃𝒹 π“Œπ‘œπ‘œπ’Ήπ“π‘œπ“‰π“ˆ π‘œπ’» π‘€π’Άπ“ˆπ“ˆπ’Άπ’Έπ’½π“Šπ“ˆπ‘’π“‰π“‰π“ˆ, 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 π’Έπ“‡π’Άπ’Έπ“€π“ˆ π‘œπ’» 𝒢 𝑀𝒢𝓃𝒽𝒢𝓉𝓉𝒢𝓃 π“ˆπ’Ύπ’Ήπ‘’π“Œπ’Άπ“π“€, 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 π’Έπ‘’π“π“π“ˆ π‘œπ’» π‘œπ“Šπ“‡ π‘œπ“Œπ“ƒ π’·π‘œπ’Ήπ’Ύπ‘’π“ˆ...𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝓅𝓁𝒢𝓃𝑒𝓉 π’Ύπ“ˆ 𝒢 π“Œπ’Ύπ“π’Ή 𝓅𝓁𝒢𝒸𝑒 𝒢𝓃𝒹 π’Άπ“π“Œπ’Άπ“Žπ“ˆ π“Œπ’Ύπ“π“ 𝒷𝑒. π’―π‘œ 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝓀 π‘œπ“Šπ“‡π“ˆπ‘’π“π“‹π‘’π“ˆ 𝒸𝒢𝓅𝒢𝒷𝓁𝑒 π‘œπ’» π’Έπ’Άπ“Šπ“ˆπ’Ύπ“ƒπ‘” β€œπ“‰π’½π‘’ 𝑒𝓃𝒹 π‘œπ’» π“ƒπ’Άπ“‰π“Šπ“‡π‘’β€ π’Ύπ“ˆ 𝒢𝓃 𝒢𝒸𝓉 π‘œπ’» 𝑔𝓇𝑒𝒢𝓉 π’½π“Šπ’·π“‡π’Ύπ“ˆ, π’»π‘œπ“‡ 𝒾𝓉 π“‚π‘’π’Άπ“ƒπ“ˆ π’»π‘œπ“‡π‘”π‘’π“‰π“‰π’Ύπ“ƒπ‘” 𝓉𝒽𝑒 π“Œπ’Ύπ“π’Ήπ“ƒπ‘’π“ˆπ“ˆ 𝓉𝒽𝒢𝓉 π’Ήπ“Œπ‘’π“π“π“ˆ π‘’π“‹π‘’π“‡π“Žπ“Œπ’½π‘’π“‡π‘’ π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π’½π’Ύπ“ƒ 𝒢𝓃𝒹 π’Άπ“‡π‘œπ“Šπ“ƒπ’Ή π“Šπ“ˆ. ❞

• @ayzrules at this point i think i just have to print out this webpage huh hahahaha i honestly consider it the greatest textbook of all time

• NANOWRIMO πŸ“

@ahlexandra omg hahaha I'm glad at least someone appreciates my utter nerdiness πŸ˜‚

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.