Spring/Summer 2024 Runway Trend Recap

• Fashion, Fashion, Fashion

Hello! I just discovered this subcategory on here and realized it is perfectly in line with my group Trending Today, so I thought I would start posting a full recap of the runway trends coming up along with my personal opinions! In case you haven't heard of my group Trending Today, it is a group dedicated to exploring the latest runway trends via contest themes! Every one of our contest themes are verified runway trends described by the biggest magazines and publications in the world. You can join the group by clicking here: https://urstyle.fashion/groups/trending-today

Since I will be talking about the season we are currently in (Spring/Summer 2024) and not the season for the most recent runway shows (Autumn/Winter 2024), these posts will be one season behind just like the fashion schedule.

Also, some of these trends may be upcoming contest themes so be on the lookout for that wink wink 😉

Without further ado, let's get started!!
    (Here's my source material for reference: https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/spring-summer-2024-fashion-trends)

Short Shorts

Seen in Gucci, Isabel Marant, Chanel, and Alexander McQueen

0_1709001953920_Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 9.45.04 PM.png

My Opinion: I love this trend! I think it's perfect for the warmer weather and I am loving how it pairs well with other styles on the runway (like the look above to the left). It takes a classic silhouette and changes it up, without feeling as risqué as the underwear as outerwear moment that happened a couple years back (wasn't a fan of that).

White Dress

Seen at Valentino, Stella McCartney, Gabriela Hearst and Michael Kors

0_1709002217287_Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 3.40.22 PM.png

My Opinion: This one has been in trend for years for the Spring/Summer season and I really really appreciate the emphasis on providing a new take on this trend for S/S 2024. I was getting tired of the more basic white dresses but I LOVE the patterns, embroidery, and embellishments used by designers to take the dresses of this season up a notch!

High-Rise Trousers

Seen at Loewe, Louis Vuitton, Saint Laurent, and Alaïa

0_1709002593026_Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 9.54.10 PM.png

My Opinion: So I have conflicting views with this one. On one hand, I love to wear high-rise trousers especially with a wide leg since the silhouette fits my body shape so well and they look professional + amazing on me (I just bought three pairs the other day). However, I found the ones on the runways a little lackluster to me. It might be just me, but I wasn't a fan of the ultra-high-rise trousers when paired with a tapered leg, which was 95% of the ones on the runways. Also, the colors and patterns weren't very interesting, but they could be just going along with the bigger overall trend (which I will discuss at the end).

Roses and Rose Print

Seen at Alexander McQueen, Balmain, KENZO, and Christian Siriano

0_1709002949792_Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 9.53.19 PM.png

My Opinion: Hands-down my favorite trend of this season!! I was OBSESSED with all of the rose-inspired looks on the runway. The use of shape and color to mimic roses at the Alexander McQueen show was MASTERFUL!! All of the runways that used roses or were inspired by roses did so in a way that was unique and creative, no two looks looked the same (which you can tell from the picture above)! Some designers used the rose shape, some used the color, some used a rose print and they were all gorgeous. 10/10, well done! 🌹

Polo and Preppy

Seen at Victoria Beckham, Dries Van Noten, The Row, and Miu Miu

0_1709003271954_Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 10.06.21 PM.png

My Opinion: A snooze for me. While some designers did try to do some interesting layering/shaping with the polo (seen above), I was bored overall. I think the preppy style, especially when adopted for a more rugby aesthetic like in recent years, is overdone at this point. Not a fan particularly.

Rapid Fire:

• SHEER SKIRTS: Love it! Lots of creativity and versatility there, definitely one I haven't seen before in a great way!
    • METALLICS: Has been a recurring trend since 2020, nothing new has been done that I haven't already seen. I definitely prefer it in Autumn/Winter for holidays such as Christmas and New Years, so a no from me during the Spring/Summer season.
    • CRAFT: I have seen variations of this in the past with things like netting, crochet, and more but I still like it this season! It feels more elevated than it has in the past, with more intentionality behind the netting, more creative interpretations, etc. Even the more campy styles have really committed to that image and gone bold with bright colors.
    • FRINGE AND FEATHERS: The so-called "flapper aesthetic" is not a new trend for me, but I will say I like some interpretations of it. I much prefer the versions with feathers over fringe. I think fringe, while cute, is overdone in recent years. Feathers can give the same feel and dimensionality while being slightly new and different.
    • 90's OFFICE WEAR: Another no from me. I understand the nostalgia for the 90s and early 2000s has been a decade long trend and there's a new cult fashion trend of the "office siren" that's hot for 2024, but this runway version is bland. It might just be my style preferences since I tend to bias towards more maximalism, but even so, I think these basics that are seen on the runway weren't interesting by any other standard. No new shapes/silhouettes, the cuts felt very lackluster and disjointed to me. I think the "office siren" social media trend has more intrigue than what was going on here.

Overall Trend: Minimalism + Quiet Luxury

The overall trend of the season was more quiet luxury, with muted pallets and minimalistic outfits. With lots of changes in designers during this runway season, British Vogue claimed that a lot of designers were playing it safe.

"Statement gowns are out and discreet chic – buoyed up with wardrobe staples including trench coats, pencil skirts, trouser suits and good jeans – is in. At the fashion search engine Tagwalk, which scanned more than 11,000 images from the spring/summer 2024 shows in New York, London, Milan and Paris, looks that were tagged “minimalism” were up 46 per cent on the previous spring/summer 2023 season. Logo-tagged looks, meanwhile, were down 52 per cent, while ’90s-tagged looks were up 42 per cent – the latter was also the most searched tag. With the 25th anniversary of the untimely death of Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy coming up next year, meanwhile, the Succession-fuelled “quiet luxury” trend is segueing into something that more closely resembles the understated ’90s-New-York elegance of the former Calvin Klein publicist." - British Vogue

My Opinion: As I said earlier, I tend to bias towards maximalism but recently I have been appreciating the benefits of incorporating some more minimalist classic pieces in my wardrobe. My favorite wardrobe staple that comes to mind for me right now is the trench coat. I have about five in varying shades of black, tan, and cream, and they are perfect for adding drama while not overcrowding my outfits. While I'll never go fully minimalist, I think quiet luxury is great when done with interesting shapes, materials, and textures.

That's all I have for you guys today! Let me know what you thought of this debrief and I hope you have a great week!

~ Mayblooms

• I am obsessed with Ralph Lauren's preppy, tailored aesthetic! Also, I've never heard of a "Craft" trend so that seems interesting. I can't wait to enter!!

• Fashion, Fashion, Fashion

@pvjewelry Ralph Lauren does a good job of making the rich preppy lifestyle a key visual and part of their brand! Everything is really clean, sharp, and easily fits an aesthetic. As for craft, it usually includes things such as crocheting, netting, and even some types of embroidery! Mainly it's when the garment looks more handmade or like a child put it together in a camp way. 🧶

ACTIVE URSTYLERS

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.