๐“ช ๐“ฐ๐“พ๐“ฒ๐“ญ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐‘ผ๐‘น๐‘บ๐‘ป๐’€๐‘ณ๐‘ฌ ๐“ฌ๐“ธ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ

• INTRODUCTION

Hihihi friends! I've created this coding guide because I'm super disorganized and figured that I'd keep this as the "master list" guide. I'm still not sure if I'm going to delete the other blogs I have or not, but from now on this one will be the most up-to-date one...provided that my inability to Keep My Shit Together (TM) doesn't somehow throw a wrench into that plan.

This first part is mostly a technical explanation that is 100% unnecessary. It's like the first 90% of those stupid recipe blogs that are completely unneeded for the actual recipe. Whoops. Put it in a spoiler to spare you all hahaha

Anyway, I just wanted to start this thing out by including a disclaimer that I am by no means calling myself an Expert Programmer TM. The only """""""credentials""""""", if we want to go there, that I have to be making these kind of posts are a single CS class I took almost two years ago, where I forgot everything except maybe a few things about HTML which I picked up only because I'd been using BBC on a different site for years. I think I only retained enough from that class to understand enough programming jargon that I can make sense out of help forums and easy guide websites regarding HTML (for modifying pre-existing Tumblr themes) and now, Markdown, AKA what URSTYLE uses. And I only started looking into Markdown because I need it to do this online ePortfolio thing for a Spanish translation class I'm in this semester. It be like that sometimes.

ANYWAY. Point being, I'm certainly no computer expert, and I will 100% miss something or make mistakes. So if you guys see something that is just wack, feel free to (politely) drop a comment or send me a message! โค

Now, to get a little bit into the logistics of this post - I've divided it up into various sections to explain some of the features that we are able to do on URSTYLE. I'm skimming over the built-in features (AKA the features that you can access by clicking something on the top bar of the editor) a bit, though if you need help or clarification with any of those you can of course ask me!!! I would be more than happy to help โค

If you've read up until here and are already like, come on Alicia just get to the damn coding stuff already jeez you're so annoying, feel free to skip the rest of this intro bit and scroll down to the first section lol. But for those of you who want to know more about how this stuff works on a technical level, Imma hit you up with what I've managed to figure out.

So, to start, HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is the standard markup language for documents designed to be displayed in a web browser. HTML is the language that our computers read, which is then converted to the formatting that we seen on our screens through some Fancy Technical Process that I don't know anything about. Markdown, on the other hand, is similar to HTML in that it's a markup language, but it was designed specifically to be readable or "plain text formatting syntax". In the places where Markdown is used, such as in URSTYLE posts, Fancy Technology converts the Markdown syntax into HTML, which is then read by the computer and displayed properly on our webpages.

So, this means that, if we want italicized text on URSTYLE, typing *text* is converted to <i>text</i>, and then it's displayed. Keep in mind that Markdown's purpose is to be readable. Even if the HTML <i> </i> tags are pretty much just as readable as the Markdown astericks, HTML has some wack shit that happens if you do more complex things. Plus the excess of { } and : and ; and < > and / gets super jumbled and super confusing real fast, especially if you're a 0 IQ dumbass like me who can't even remember what she ate for breakfast.

Of course, the fact that Markdown uses plain text symbols like pipe characters (|), brackets, astericks (*), backticks (`), etc means that sometimes things that we don't want to be interpreted as code gets mixed in. There's a way around this, called a "backslash escape", which I'll get to a little further down in the post. And there are a few things that, as far as I know, you can't do in pure Markdown syntax - indenting entire blocks of text outside of a block quote, for example, or having multiple line breaks. To do some of those things, most of what I've found talks about writing it in HTML or linking CSS (which, btw, we can't do with URSTYLE posts). Some of these things I have potential solutions for. Some of them I do not. But if anyone finds a solution to something I don't have a solution for, 100% hit me up and I'll add it here and give you a shout-out!!! โค

Also, a forewarning - not every Markdown syntax is supported by every website that uses Markdown. Plus, different sites can have different syntax for different things. For example, a spoiler in URSTYLE uses || text ||, while a spoiler on Reddit uses -> text <-, and Slack can't even process spoilers. Reddit allows you to create footnotes. Discord and URSTYLE, on the other hand, do not. You get the idea. For our purposes, I'm going to call the specific syntax of Markdown that works on this site URSTYLE-Flavored Markdown.

That's all for now ๐Ÿ™‚ As always, please let me know if anything's confusing or if I messed something up, or if you have any other questions (which I will try my very best to answer)!

TABLE OF CONTENTS

THE BASICS
    TABLES
    LISTS & SUBLISTS
    RESIZING TEXT
    HTML CHARACTER CODES
    CODE BLOCKS
    DIRECTLY EMBEDDING SETS
    ESCAPING MARKDOWN SYNTAX

SOURCES

I've compiled a list of links that I used while looking stuff up below, just in case others find it useful!

https://www.rapidtables.com/web/html/html-codes.html
    https://www.markdownguide.org/cheat-sheet/
    https://www.markdownguide.org/basic-syntax
    https://www.markdownguide.org/extended-syntax
    https://www.reddit.com/wiki/markdown
    https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics
    https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
    https://www.markdownguide.org/getting-started
    https://dillinger.io/

NANOWRIMO ๐Ÿ“
    4613 10 8 Share

Comments (9)
  • NANOWRIMO ๐Ÿ“

THE BASICS

I won't spend too much time talking about the basic stuff (AKA what can be accessed through the top bar of the post editor), but I'll just drop this table here for quick reference! And if you need help with something related to these things, you are still of course more than welcome to ask!!! โค

Function Code Renders As
    Italicize text *text* or _text_ text
    Bold text **text** or __text__ text
    Bold + italicized text ***text*** or ___text___ text
    Colored text %(color name or #color hex code. for this example, I used red)[text] text
    Code 0_1566876576175_Capture.PNG text
    Inline links [Google](www.google.com) Google
    Inline links w/ title [Google](www.google.com "Title/text here") Google
    Inline links w/ color [%(red)[Google]](www.google.com) Google
    Strikethrough text ~~text~~ text
    Info bubble ยฐfa-infoยฐ(information text)
    Text w/ info pop-up ยฐtextยฐ(information text) text
    Image ![w/e text you want](image link, example is https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/vintage-glass-door-knob-black-and-white-terry-deluco.jpg) te
    Image w/ link [![alt text](image link)](link URL) click example image to test alt text
    Backslash escape (more on this down below) \*this text is not italic* *this text is not italic*

Headers:

#anchor(text)

text

Horizontal rule:

*** or ---. Creates a semi-transparent pale gray line across the entire page.

Block quotes:

use a > sign at the start of every paragraph. These can be nested!

Hi friends
    It's a blockquote

And now

it's a nested block quote!

> Hi friends
    > It's a blockquote

> And now
    >> it's a nested block quote!

Spoilers:

|| text ||

Be warned: we cannot change the text alignment within spoilers. We can, however, perform the other stylization functions within a spoiler, such as changing color, bold/italics, header, tables, etc

header

This Is
    A table in a spoiler woohoo

• NANOWRIMO ๐Ÿ“

TABLES

URSTYLE-flavored Markdown lets us create tables! Yay!

Header 1 Header 2
    Text Text
    Text Text

Here's the code:

| Header 1 | Header 2 |
    | --- | --- |
    | Text | Text |
    | Text | Text |

Aligning Tables:

You can choose how to align the text/pics in each cell, as well, by adding a colon (:) to the left, right, or on both side of the hyphens within the header row.

Syntax Description Test Text
    Header Title Here's this
    Paragraph Text And more

| Syntax | Description | Test Text |
    | :--- | :----: | ---: |
    | Header | Title | Here's this |
    | Paragraph | Text | And more |

Here's a handy lil ๐“œ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ด๐“ญ๐“ธ๐”€๐“ท ๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ซ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“–๐“ฎ๐“ท๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ช๐“ฝ๐“ธ๐“ป, so that we're not sitting here typing dashes and pipe characters until the end of time.

Misc Functions:

You can also just type the headers for tables to make rad little boxes, as such:

|rad box
    -

rad box

Different alignments:
    |rad box center align
    :-:

rad box center align

|rad box right align
    -:

rad box right align

And all table cells don't necessarily need to have text in them.

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

Text in Tables:

We're able to italicize, bold, strikethrough, and add color to text within tables. We cannot re-size text, add headers, or put spoilers within tables. Tables will automatically adjust the cell height/width based on what you input in each cell.

Note that we also do not have the ability to use a 'return'/'enter key' function within a table. The work-around I've been using mostly involves just spamming nonsense (either random gibberish & coloring it white so it's invisible or &nbsp; for a non-breaking space) until the text is forced to the next line. Very 0 IQ but I've no other ideas atm & people online don't seem to have a solution either ๐Ÿคท

Images in Tables:

We can also insert images, into tables, which could be useful for creating inline images (which, as far as I know, is not possible in any Markdown implementation to date. Most of the help forums talk about using HTML or CSS to achieve inline images).

|![alt text](https://img2.cgtrader.com/items/707327/6d34623ff1/large/cartoon-version-small-flower-bark-forest-3d-model-max-obj-3ds-fbx-mtl-tga.jpg) | ![alt text](https://img2.cgtrader.com/items/707327/6d34623ff1/large/cartoon-version-small-flower-bark-forest-3d-model-max-obj-3ds-fbx-mtl-tga.jpg) | ![alt text](https://img2.cgtrader.com/items/707327/6d34623ff1/large/cartoon-version-small-flower-bark-forest-3d-model-max-obj-3ds-fbx-mtl-tga.jpg) |
    |:-:|:-:| :-:|

alt text alt text alt text

Tables in Spoilers:

Tables in spoilers can do everything a table outside of a spoiler can: have directly embedded sets, colored/stylized text, different alignments, pics, etc

here's a picture this is center aligned wooo
    bold text
    tables yay more text

• NANOWRIMO ๐Ÿ“

LISTS & SUBLISTS

There are two types of lists that you can have with Markdown: ordered and unordered. Unordered lists are just the ones with bulletpoints; ordered are the ones with numbers.

Unordered Lists:

There are 3 symbols that get you an unordered list: *, +, - . You must include a space in between the symbol and the first letter of the list item in order for it to work.

- hi
    + unordered list
    * woohoo

• hi
    • unordered list
    • woohoo

Ordered Lists:

1. ordered list
    2) yay

1. ordered list
    1. yay

Sublists:

• Abacus
      • absolute
    • Bananas
      1. bitter
      2. bupkis
      3. burper
    • Cunning

In order to get an unordered sublist, you press space 2 times before you type the symbol. In order to get an ordered sublist, you need to press space 3 times.

A note:

A note about using a, b, c, etc as your values for an ordered list-

a. hi
    b. this doesn't work
    c. wack

But a/b/c/etc works for sublists? You just have to press space twice, before the letter

• But
      a. I think this does
      b. I'm not sure why
    1. yikes?
      a. I don't knowwww

Checklists:

[ ] Checklist 1
    [ ] Checklist 2
    [x] Checklist 3

• NANOWRIMO ๐Ÿ“

COLORED/RESIZED TEXT & EVERYTHING HTML

There are several ways to create different text sizes.

Of course, there's:

text
    =

text
    -

But thanks to Markdown syntax, we can get sizes that are more specific than just the two biggest text sizes up there.

normal text size

hi (made using the = sign)

hi (made using the - sign)

hi (# hi)

hi (## hi)

hi (### hi)

hi (#### hi)

hi (##### hi)
    hi (###### hi)

Note: For some reason, the 3 # setting and the 5 # setting always convert the text to uppercase and bold. I am not entirely sure why. Also, the # sign must be the first thing on the line for this to work, so text alignment and putting this syntax into tables doesn't seem to work.

Hola

• NANOWRIMO ๐Ÿ“

HTML CHARACTER CODES

Long story short: HTML recognizes each character as a unique code. We can take advantage of that to do two things: center large text, and create line breaks/indentations.

The biggest problem with trying to use centered big text, like
    |- %(pink)[big text plz] -|
    -
    is the fact that Markdown confuses that specific combination of pipe characters (|) and dashes (-), since
    |woooooooo
    -
    creates

wooooooooo

Like we discussed earlier.

So. Basically, we need to try to avoid this confusion. The workaround: using the HTML character code for the pipe character, &#124;.

Testing it out:
    &#124;- %(pink)[centered paragraph] -&#124;
    -
    (where the |- has been replaced with &#124;-), we get:

centered paragraph

Unfortunately, we still can't get the biggest heading text (with the = instead of the - on the following line) to be big and colored. I think that's an URSTYLE thing, not a Markdown thing.

As for indentations and extra line breaks, one popular workaround I've seen people ~on the web~ talking about is using the HTML character code for a non-breaking space, &nbsp;.

To demonstrate:

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Wowieeee I love indented text

ย ย ย ย ย ย  Wowieeee I love indented text

Or, if we want line breaks:

Paragraph 1

&nbsp;

Paragraph 2

Paragraph 1

ย 

Paragraph 2

You can look up some more of these HTML character codes ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฎ.

• NANOWRIMO ๐Ÿ“

CODE BLOCKS

If you want to create multiple lines of code, and don't feel like putting backticks around every damn line you have, you can take advantage of the code blocks. To get one to show up, you can press space 4 times, or put three backticks (```) above and below the text that you want to show up in the code block.

we got some code y'all
    you have to press space four times
    each time you want to start a new line
    or you could just wrap your code in backticks (```) and not have to deal with that, lmfao. 
    There's a little symbol like </> 5th from the left at the top of the editor. 
    You can click that and replace "code_text" with your actual code.

There's also the grouped code function, 5th from the right at the top of the composer.

0_1567197682562_Capture.PNG

looks like this

yo yo yo

Put some code in here
    |- center paragraph -| 
    **bold text**
    et cetera
    <

ย 

ย 

• NANOWRIMO ๐Ÿ“

DIRECTLY EMBEDDING SETS

You can directly embed sets into your posts now, using the UR icon at the top of your composer. You'll have to choose if you want the embedded set to be big or small, and if you want to embed items, they'll automatically be small.

Set card (big) option provides us with:

[bigSet]Link URL[/bigSet]

Set card (small) option:
    [set]Link URL[/set]

Which can then be grouped inline, using

0_1567198205661_1.PNG

You get 3 small set cards/item cards per line. Both big and small set cards can be aligned differently, placed in spoilers, and placed in tables. Big set cards cannot be grouped inline.

ย 

0_1567197655439_capture2.PNG

some set cards it's lit

• NANOWRIMO ๐Ÿ“

ESCAPING MARKDOWN SYNTAX

Last section, yay! So what "escaping Markdown syntax" means is that we're telling our Fancy Technology not to interpret special characters (such as *, |, _, =, etc) as Markdown syntax but without making it look like code, by preceding them with a backslash \

*this is not italicized*
    \*this is not italicized*

For things with multiple special characters (i.e. bolding text, bold + italicizing text, etc), you need to put a backslash in between each character that precedes the text.

__this is not bolded__
    ***this is not bold + italicized***

\_\_this is not bolded__
    \*\*\*this is not bold + italicized***

Markdown provides backslash escapes for the following characters:

\ backslash
    * asterisk
    _ underscore
    {} curly braces
    [] square brackets
    () parentheses
    # hash mark
    + plus sign
    - minus sign (hyphen)
    . dot
    ! exclamation mark

• NANOWRIMO ๐Ÿ“

reserved just in case ๐Ÿ™‚ feel free to comment anywhere below this post!

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.