ABOUT ME: SABRINA

• I feel simultaneously like I’m embarrassingly late to this party and also like I am gatecrashing - which is it, brain? Either way, @mint started up this trend on URSTYLE of sharing a blog post about yourself (check out the post here) and I am joining in. Even if the worry it’s causing me is making me sweat profusely. Still, I wanted my first blog post to be an “about me,” and I figure this is the way to go.

S A B R I N A

0_1557195487986_Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 12.17.17 pm.png
    I have previously used two celebrities to represent myself: Shailene Woodley and Hailee Steinfeld. Do I think I actually look anything like them? No, but I have brown hair and brown eyes.

L I N K S

Twitter - Instagram - Tumblr (1) - Tumblr (2) - …Tumblr (3) - Pinterest - Goodreads (Books) - Trakt (TV) - Letterboxd (Movies)

D E M O G R A P H I C S

Name: Sabrina
    Nicknames: Sab & Sabs are what my friends usually call me, but family always just calls me Sabrina
    Birthday: 2nd December
    Zodiac: Sagittarius sun, Leo moon and Leo rising. And my zodiac animal is the rat.
    Home Location: Victoria, Australia
    Occupation: Unemployed. Never had a job in my life and now I can’t get one.
    Education: Completed VCE, did not finish my degree in Environmental Science (Wildlife and Conservation Biology) due to becoming disillusioned, barely started my double degree in Science and Art (hated it), completed Certificate 3 in Floristry at TAFE (mixed feelings).
    Extra-Curriculars: Used to play netball, but not for school - I wasn’t good enough to get on the team, lol. In high school I went to one meeting for the Environment Group and never returned because they wanted me to do too many embarrassing things. I was however part of the library group for reading and writing but we never accomplished anything because we only met up every two weeks at lunch time, spent half the time taking attendance and listening to what we were supposed to do that day before the bell went and we ended up doing none of it. I got a badge for that group though.

P E R S O N A L I T Y

I’ve listed this in my profile, but I may as well repeat it here: I am a Hufflepuff primary, Ravenclaw secondary (using the Sorting Hat Chats method), INFP-T in that Myers-Briggs thing and Type 6 in the Enneagram thing.
    I also think this is an important thing to know about me: I worry a lot and about everything (if you’re familiar with the Enneagram types, you may have already guessed this). I am cripplingly afraid of making mistakes and annoying people. This affects me in all aspects of my life, and URSTYLE (and previously, PV) is no different. I get excited about RPs and battle groups and other group things, but I end up not participating because of my fears, no matter how much I want to. By the end of PV, I had gotten pretty used to auditioning and entering contests, but after all this time away from it, my tolerance, so to speak, has weakened. I think it’s also because a lot of my old friends are missing and battle groups seem to be more writing-focused which, though I find writing fun and exciting, is more worry-inducing because there are so many opportunities for errors and other people’s judgement. This is also why I tend to do things last minute - if I wait until close enough to the deadline, I don’t have time to worry about being perfect. I am trying to get past it - for example, I am trying to comment a lot more often on other people’s sets without worrying about somehow offending someone - but it’s difficult.
    So that is probably my greatest weakness. I think my greatest strength, however, is my empathy and how much I care about everything.

R E S I D E N C E

I have lived in the same house for my whole life with my parents, two younger siblings and my dog, Lilly (you’ll find more pictures of her on my Instagram than of myself). The location is nice because it is close enough to everything and we have a nice view of the mountains if you look out the right window. I have never particularly wanted to move, though when we get hoon drivers screeching their tyres at all hours of the night, I do consider it. And I suppose I’d be lying if I said I’d never expressed a desire to move to Queensland where it seems to be warm all year round, but that’s more of a dream rather than a plan.

F A V O U R I T E S

Colour: Green, blue, purple

Season: Summer

TV Shows: I have a kind of mental tier system for my favourite tv shows, lol. So let’s organise this list by that:
    Top Tier - Parks and Recreation (the best tv show in the world so far)
    Second Tier - Avatar: The Last Airbender, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Suits, Agents of SHIELD, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Society
    Third Tier - Westworld (if I was just going off the first season, this would probably be higher), Black Books (got worse as it went, I think, but the first season was so good), Jane the Virgin, One Day at a Time, House, Malcolm in the Middle, Daredevil, The Punisher (haven’t seen season 2 yet), How To Get Away With Murder, Revenge (probably - it’s been a long time), Still Game
    I’m behind on probably 50% of these shows and also I haven’t included shows that I’m anticipating will belong here somewhere when I’ve got significantly through them (eg. Titans, The Good Place, The Umbrella Academy). Smallville also is missing from this list because my feelings towards it have become increasingly complicated over the years.

Movies: Stardust (my most favourite movie ever), Lilo & Stitch, The Emperor’s New Groove, Mary Poppins, Saving Mr. Banks (…ignoring the real life implications), MCU, Annihilation, Colossal, The Intern, Moana, Halloweentown, Back to the Future, Spider-Man (2002), very specific version of Peter Pan (Burbank) that I have on video, Edge of Tomorrow, Odd Thomas, Romancing the Stone, A Cinderella Story, Spy Kids, Spy Kids 2, Sky High, The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (although I haven’t watched it in years), The Outsiders, The Proposal, Notting Hill, Primal Fear, The Aristocats, Mulan, The Wizard of Oz, Howl’s Moving Castle, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (plus the others, tbh). There’s some others that I have listed as favourites on Letterboxd but I’m not confident enough in my memory of them to list them here hah.

Books: Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones has the equal number one spot with Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. They are the two books that seem to have read my soul. I have 93 books listed as favourites on Goodreads, so I’m not going to list them all here but I will mention a few, particularly the recent ones: Spinning Silver & Uprooted by Naomi Novik, Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott, Nimona by Noelle Stevenson, Harry Potter, Divergent & Insurgent by Veronic Roth (Allegiant was a tragedy for a good many reasons), The Illuminae Files trilogy by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda, The Upside of Unrequited & Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli, If We Were Villains by M. L. Rio, Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi (this gave me so many ATLA vibes), Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge, Bone Gap by Laura Ruby, All the Crooked Saints, The Scorpio Races & The Raven Cycle by Maggie Steifvater, Graceling by Kristin Cashore, Dangerous Girls & Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas, An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir, Unwind by Neal Shusterman, Angelfall by Susan Ee, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, Attachments & Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, Seraphina by Rachel Hartman, The Princess and the Captain by Anne-Laure Bondoux, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and I can’t forget my other favourites from Laini Taylor: the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, Muse of Nightmares & Lips Touch: Three Times. I also have some other favourites from Diana Wynne Jones, but they are mostly Charmed Life & The Merlin Conspiracy. Sorry, I realise that I told you I wouldn’t list all 93 books and then almost did.

Video Games: Spyro Gateway to Glimmer (number one top favourite), Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Heartgold, Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped, Virtua Fighter 4, Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PS2), Spider-Man 2 Enter Electro, Wacky Races (PS1), World of Warcraft, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links, The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Age of Empires, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater (PS1), Toy Story 2 (PS1), Buzz Robo Jam, DC Universe Online, Talisman, Eye Toy Play 3. I play these all pretty irregularly, but I’ll have like a month where I play non-stop.

Bands/Music: I feel like I have to make excuses for myself here but… A Day To Remember (my top favourite), Neck Deep, The Story So Far, Of Mice & Men, All Time Low, Bring Me The Horizon, Breaking Benjamin, Black Veil Brides, Seaway, State Champs, Knuckle Puck, You Me At Six + probably more + basically anything from the Tony Hawk PS1 games lol. Also I want to mention that I know literally nothing about any of these people, I just listen to their music.

Places: Home, my Papa’s old farm that I don’t have access to anymore, a specific hill with all these evergreens on it that opens into a clearing where you can see a great view of the suburbs, a specific public garden also in the hills with a lake area that reminds me of the Eldergleam Sanctuary, Cairns Coconut Resort as it was when I stayed there in 2007ish, giant playground in South Australia

Flower: Lavender

Food: Let’s be real, I like most foods. But I guess baked goods are especially dear to me.

Style: Like, soft badass? Lol. I like anything that makes me feel pretty but also edgy.

H O B B I E S

• Reading (also I used to run a book blog - http://sabrinas-stories.blogspot.com/ - but I stopped when I started struggling with my feelings on uni)
    • Hanging with my dog, Lilly
    • Watching TV & movies & youtube
    • Playing video games
    • Walking in nature
    • Playing card games & board games with my family
    • Playing with makeup
    • Eating dessert
    • Sometimes I like writing, lol
    • Daydreaming

A S P I R A T I O N S

I have always wanted to be a storyteller, that has been around since I was a child and is still there now, but I can’t figure out how to do it. When I was in high school, I decided I wanted to work with animals. When I realised that was not working out, I quit uni and tried to find something else to do. I chose floristry, because it seemed fun and creative, and also, the teacher told me I would be very likely to find a job after I completed the course. It’s been almost a year now and I have not 🙃
    Really, my aspiration is to be happy and find something of value that I can give to the world. I am currently failing on both counts.

D E F I N I N G - F E A T U R E S

Hair: Brown, long
    Eyes: Brown, usually covered by glasses unless I’ve decided to wear my contacts that day
    Height: On the short side
    Tattoos & Piercings: Just regular ears pierced
    Scars: One chicken pox scar on my chest, a small scar to the left of my nose from where someone accidentally hit me in the face with a torch on camp in primary school, little circular dent on the left of my stomach from a weird cyst the grew there, got infected and then fell out, one on my right middle finger from when I was taking out the bin and it overbalanced and crushed my fingers, one on my right thumb from the time I threw a stubby holder at my brother’s head but caught my hand on the in-tray, a few on my left hand from the warts I got when I was a child, and finally one on my right knee from when I was running to the bus afterschool in year seven and my bag bounced up a little too high and sent me tumbling.
    Also if you talk to me, I’ll unconsciously tilt my right ear toward you so I can hear better as I am partly deaf in my left ear.

P H I L O S O P H Y

It is always better to lift other people up than drag them down. You never know when you’ll lose something, so make the most of your time with them/it. Always say goodnight and goodbye. Help strangers. Try to get outside everyday. One biscuit isn’t going to kill you. Two biscuits aren’t going to kill you. Three biscuits might be pushing it. Discuss your issues before you take action on them (ie. Don’t put your dirty socks under your sister’s pillow before you’re sure she’s the one that farted in your room). Try your best to remember that everyone is dealing with different things and when they’re mean to you, it isn’t necessarily your fault. Life’s too short to wait for other people to watch movies with you. Skip the song you feel obligated to listen to for some weird reason. If it makes you happy, it’s not a waste of time.

H O W - I T - B E G A N

I actually first found out about PV through a high school technology class. I don’t know what we were supposed to be learning - something about layouts maybe? So I technically made my first acount in high school, and had to send my teacher sets that I made. I logged out the end of that day and didn’t log back in again. Until a few years later when, ironically enough, my favourite website at the time shut down. It was called Girlsense and it was a fashion design & social website for predominantly younger teens. It was so cool - you’d design clothing and then display it in a virtual boutique and you could auction off your items for “g-cents” and buy other people’s clothing. You got trophies for reaching certain milestones and if your boutique was featured on the homepage (which happened for me once!), you got hundreds of views and comments. I made a lot of friends and even a pen-pal on that website. Unfortunately on July 18th 2012, it shut down. Fortunately, the owners warned us over two weeks in advance so I was able to collect screenshots of my designs and - more importantly - the contact information of all the friends I had made (hMMm strange how a children’s website had the foresight to do this! Unlike! other! websites! I! know!). Little me was devastated, though not as devastated as I would be almost six years later when the website I went to as a replacement shut down as well.

I N - C O N C L U S I O N

Thank you for reading! If you ever want to talk, please go ahead and send me a message. If you like any of the things I like, let me know. And please tell me if there’s something I do that’s annoying and can change to not be annoying 🙂

Battle of the Books
    3010 12 8 Share

Comments (11)

• Charmed Life by DWJ falls in my top ten all-time faves!

• I know I don't know you very well, but you've always stuck out as someone just so genuinely kind! It's beyond wonderful.

AND AHH, STARDUST!!!!!!!! That movie. It gets me. Every time. Forever.

p.s. definitely 0% annoying ever imo ♡

• welcome to urstyle! thank you for sharing! I'd really like to read some of your writing ❤

• Battle of the Books

@aenir Ahh that's awesome 😄 It really is an amazing book.

• Battle of the Books

@lecoupdefoudre That's so nice of you to say - thank you 🙂
    Me too! I will never get tired of it.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for the reassurance too ❤

• Battle of the Books

@filthysoul Thank you & thank you for reading! 🙂 I have a wattpad account with some of the things I'm more proud of, if that's of interest to you.

• Morbid Curiosities

Hi Sabrina, I'm KarenLee. I just finished reading your entire blog / bio. What struck me was how concerned you are about making mistakes and/or being annoying. Please take it from someone who has spent most of my life thinking the way you think. It gets you nowhere. no one cares but you! no one is perfect, EVERYONE makes mistakes and you are definitely not annoying. You will find that life is about being genuine open and honest. which you are well on your way as per your blog. Worrying about what others think of you prevents you from being genuine no matter how hard you think this isn't true it really is. Your uniqueness which includes your flaws and mistakes is what makes you a valuable addition to the human race. Go get involved with anything, any job leads you to the next, better situation. It's a progressive journey you are just getting started on, you have so much to offer the world, go explore, move out of comfortable places and explore this incredible world we live in! xoxo Sorry to preach. Just do it!

• Magical Creatures

I loved reading about you! You sound like a very nice and interesting person!

• Battle of the Books

@kleasterling Hi KarenLee - thank you for taking the time to read! I really appreciate your advice and will definitely be coming back to read this comment when I am feeling overwhelmed. Thanks again and I hope you are having a wonderful day ❤

• Battle of the Books

@saphirange Thank you very much! I appreciate you taking the time to read my post 🙂

• Morbid Curiosities

@forebodinq I am and YOU Rock!!

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.