Making better sets

• #anchor(Improving set making tips:)
    I was on polyvore for 5+ years. Here's some things I Learnt along the way.

All sets I share bellow are made by me @dotingsage
    alt text
    1-Match pictures to outfit colour-
    For a cohesive look to your set match items of our outfit to the photos. The set becomes more polished looking. Here I took the blue in the bottom left pic. Then used that in the necklace, jacket and nail polish. It's easier to find the photos first rather than trying to locate them after outfit is put together.

alt text
    2-Use image as base for set look-
    What I mean is taking a pic and recreating what you see in the photo. Could be a room or outfit. You don't have to match it exactly. Just take the essence of the picture. This idea really helps people visualise the look.

alt text
    3-Join contests-
    This is a great way to get your set noticed. Contests can help you pick themes and come up with ideas when you have set block. Creating your own is awesome too. You can use it as an advertising tool if you think creatively.

alt text
    4- Clear outfit style-
    If your outfit is all over the place people will be confused. LEss likely to enjoy your creation. Best to start with clear stle or location to wear outfit to. Such as this set being for business office work.
    Make it clear where the outfit is worn to with the font used and title.

alt text
    5-Think of location for your look- (If it's interior think of person living in room)
    Giving your set a location really helps your set grow. Just an outfit can look good but adding location elements gives set a 2nd dimension. Can help members know where the outfit is best worn. Or what climate you are dressing for. You can show destination in photos or fillers. Search in art section for these. Or clip your own, pinterest has a wide range you can clip easily. (fillers too).

alt text
    6-Start with base shape-
    I use a drop shadow square as set background. You can use any geometric shape or frame. I find white squares and rectangles look more polished.
    Starting with a base shape helps you place your items. You can grid them and contain them easier. Sets with items scattered all over the place look messy. Even if you pick out the best looking outfit. If its layout is really not thought out your set will look like you've taken 2 minutes.

alt text
    7- add text to compliment design-
    Add a few fonts to fill gaps. You can lay them over items. Or fill blank areas around items. Less is more. A mixture of magazine paragraphs and quotes/typography words is a cool trick.
    Best to find font that matches what your set is about. For example don't put font about high heels if your set features an outfit with sneakers.
    Why do you need font?
    Well it's to help people know what your look is about. gives the aesthetic.

alt text
    8-Colour theme-
    I discovered that sets with colours going well together became more popular. Start with a colour palette. That is 2 or 3 shades for all the elements of your set. (can still add black for font).
    Sets using colour theme look more polished. Not all your outfit needs to be matchy matchy. But 20 colours in your set become too busy looking. If you are using rainbow mix it with neutrals in background.

alt text
    9-Be consistent-.
    By this I mean do the same style of sets often. People will be more likely to follow you if they love your set style/layout. If it's all over the place then people will not feel like coming back for your sets.
    Say you start making doll sets and then you suddenly post a grid outfit look...people are going to be confused by what your profile is about.
    You want people to think 'oh that's a dotingsage set' (using my user as example). However, you can have 3 layout styles if you post them on a schedule basis. E.g. one set interior, next grid layout outfit, then square.
    Come up with layout that's original to you and you're not going to get bored with. (least make 90% of sets have same aesthetic in layout).

alt text
    10-Simple frames and fillers-
    In this set I used simple frame round my photo. What I'm trying to explain is less is more. Too many fillers and decorative elements can look sloppy. Pick fillers and frames that don't over shadow the outfit or room items. You want them to be background not foreground. If you clutter your set with 20 fillers your set will look cluttered unless they are tiny. You can layer up fillers to make art pieces. This is great but that is different to outfit or interior. Then you can be bolder. But still more effective with subtle amount of items.
    -request
    -follow me for updates of next post
    -vote on post if you enjoyed it.

Cheap but Trendy
    1622 7 4 Share

Comments (6)
  • Morbid Curiosities

Thano you @DotingSage this is wonderful info for everyone!

• Cheap but Trendy

@kleasterling you are welcome. Wish more people read it to get advice.

• Morbid Curiosities

@dotingsage They will find you, you are a wise sage!!

• Just Vintage

Some great advice! Thanks very much

• Cheap but Trendy

@shelley-harcar you're welcome

• Cheap but Trendy

@kleasterling fingers crossed

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.