𝑼𝑹𝑺𝑻𝒀𝑳𝑬 𝓬𝓸𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰: 𝓭𝓲𝓿𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓹𝓮𝓻

• Hello friends!!! I have made a couple discoveries and am writing this to share it with everyone. You may take anything from here and use it without explicitly crediting me!! Of course, I am so totally down to see anything that y'all create and would love to be tagged anyway. Do people still do those "taglist" things that they did in PV? Hahahaha. ❤

(This part is pretty unnecessary, TBH. It's like the first 90% of all those recipe blog posts. Feel free to skip)

Because I'm actually useless, it took me until now to finally realize something.

Discord, Slack, and URSTYLE all have similar coding syntax for formatting text.

Which means that URSTYLE coding syntax does not exist in a void or a vacuum. Which means that the people at URSTYLE didn't just randomly pull their coding system out of thin air and decided that |- -| was going to center things.

Which means that, if we get the name of the markup language, we can find cheat sheets and guides and what have you to figure out how to Do Stuff. Same as with HTML or BBC or CSS.

Guess what, guys. It's called 𝓜𝓪𝓻𝓴𝓭𝓸𝔀𝓷. And here's a 𝓬𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓼𝓱𝓮𝓮𝓽.

A forewarning: after doing some research, I've learned that not every website supports every Markdown syntax. This means that, despite the fact that our handy dandy cheatsheet says Here's a sentence with a footnote. [^1] will make a footnote, that is simply not true in the case of URSTYLE. Also, if you google "how to ___ in Markdown" and it gives you stuff about using HTML or linking to a CSS style sheet, that also does not work for URSTYLE. Sorry.

Case in point: <b>testing HTML</b> does not give us bolded text. But holy fuck, I wish it did.

The three most important takeaways I've gotten from reading about Markdown and scrolling through tutorial/guide websites are down below. ❤

𝑳𝑨𝑹𝑮𝑬 𝑪𝑶𝑳𝑶𝑹𝑬𝑫 𝑻𝑬𝑿𝑻

So we're all fed up with how getting large colored text to work is a pain in the ass. I know. I am, too. As far as I can tell, there are two different ways to get large colored text centered. I posted about the harder way 𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮. Right now, Imma talk about an easier way that Markdown guides have so kindly provided me with.

The biggest problem with trying to use centered big text, like
    |- %(pink)[big text plz] -|
    -
    is the fact that Markdown confuses that specific combination of pipe characters (|) and dashes (-), since
    |woooooooo
    -
    creates

wooooooooo

(which, incidentally, happens to be the heading section of tables. But we'll get to that later).

So. Basically, we need to try to avoid this confusion. The workaround: using the HTML character code for the pipe character, &#124;.

Testing it out:
    &#124;- %(pink)[centered paragraph] -&#124;
    -
    (where the |- has been replaced with &#124;-), we get:

centered paragraph

Ayeeee, it is lit. Unfortunately, we still can't get the biggest heading text (with the = instead of the - on the following line) to be big and colored. I think that's an URSTYLE thing, not a Markdown thing.

𝑻𝑨𝑩𝑳𝑬𝑺

Thanks to Markdown syntax, we've actually been able to create tables all along!

Syntax Description
    Header Title
    Paragraph Text

Here's the code:

| Syntax | Description |
    | --- | ----------- |
    | Header | Title |
    | Paragraph | Text |

You can choose how to align the text in each cell, as well, by adding a colon (:) to the left, right, or on both side of the hyphens within the header row.

Syntax Description Test Text
    Header Title Here's this
    Paragraph Text And more

| Syntax | Description | Test Text |
    | :--- | :----: | ---: |
    | Header | Title | Here's this |
    | Paragraph | Text | And more |

And here's a handy lil 𝓜𝓪𝓻𝓴𝓭𝓸𝔀𝓷 𝓣𝓪𝓫𝓵𝓮 𝓖𝓮𝓷𝓮𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓸𝓻, so that we're not sitting here typing dashes and pipe characters until the end of time.

𝑺𝑷𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑺

So I'm pretty sure that we've all figured out that, whenever we try to indent a paragraph by pressing the space bar a gajillion times, it doesn't work.

We get this little black box thing, which is actually meant to be a code block and can be achieved by putting ``` above and below the text you want to show up as code.

Wowie we got a code block
    |- look it's code -|

Spoiler alert: 4 spaces does it.

So, just like what we did for the pipe character, we can pull the HTML character code for a space, &nbsp;, and get more indentation.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Wowieeee I love indented text

Wowieeee I love indented text

That's all I have for now ❤ If y'all have any questions, @ me or reply here or HMU somehow and I will be happy to assist!!! 𝓢𝓸𝓶𝓮 𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓬𝓸𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓲𝓹𝓼 𝓘'𝓿𝓮 𝔀𝓻𝓲𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓷.

NANOWRIMO 📝
    1951 3 9 Share

Comments (2)
  • Battle of the Books

you are truly a genius!

• NANOWRIMO 📝

@forebodinq you give me way too much credit ahh!!!! ❤

Looks like your connection to URSTYLE was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.